Hubert Bals Fund @IFFR announces winners with a staggering selection from Latin America CONGRATULATIONS!
After poring over a record number of 399 entries, the Hubert Bals Fund has finally chosen its Fall 2012 winners. 25 new film projects will receive grants from IFFR‘s fund for script development, digital production, post-production, distribution or workshops. Among the lucky ones are IFFR favourites as well as promising newcomers.
Tarde para morir joven, Tiger Award winner Dominga Sotomayor‘s new project, gets support for script development. The Chilean filmmaker’s debut De jueves a domingo was supported by the HBF, won a Hivos Tiger Award and made a successful round of film festivals around the world. Her new film will be a coming-of-age story about three teenagers who grow up in a secluded place in the mountains and are forced to re-evaluate their existentialist beliefs when a forest fire threatens their lives.
Argentinian director Milagros Mumenthaler gets support for the digital production of her new film Pozo de aire. She was awarded a Golden Leopard for her previous film Abrir puertas y ventanas, another HBF-supported project. Mumenthaler’s new more experimental, low-budget project will use family portraits and memories to focus on the notion of absence.
An overview of all selected HBF-projects for Fall 2012
Script and project development
• Court by Chaitanya Tamhane, India
• Days of Cannibalism by Teboho Edkins, South Africa
• Elon Rabin Não Acredita Na Morte (Elon Rabin Doesn’t Believe in Death) by Ricardo Alves Jr., Brazil
• Extraño pero verdadero (Strange But True) by Michel Lipkes, Mexico
• Oscuro animal (Obscure Animal) by Felipe Guerrero, Columbia
• Otra Madre (Another Mother) by Mariano Luque, Argentina
• Rüzgarli Bir Güne Agit (Requiem for a Windy Day) by Özcan Alper, Turkey
• Tabija by Igor Drljaca, Bosnia and Herzegovina
• Tarde para morir joven (Late to Die Young) by Dominga Sotomayor, Chile
• Tempestad (Tempestuous) by John Torres, Philippines
• The Room on a Tree by Amit Dutta, India
• A Corner of Heaven by Zhang Miaoyan, China
• Pozo de aire (Air Pocket) by Milagros Mumenthaler, Argentina
Post-production & final-financing
• Larzanandeye Charbi (Fat Shaker) by Mohammad Shirvani, Iran
• Noche (Night) by Leonardo Brzezicki, Argentina
• O rio nos pretence (Rio Belongs to Us) by Ricardo Pretti, Brazil
• O uivo da gaita (The Harmonica’s Howl) by Bruno Safadi, Brazil
• On Mother’s Head by Kusuma Widjaja Putu, Indonesia
• Penumbra by Eduardo Villanueva, Mexico
• Something Necessary by Judy Kibinge, Kenya
• Yang Tidak Dibicarakan Ketika Membicarakan Cinta (What They Don’t Talk about When They Talk about Love) by Mouly Surya, Indonesia
• Atambua 39° Celsius by Riri Riza, Indonesia
• NAAS Training Workshop, Egypt
• Digital Cinema Workshop Series, Morocco
• Cinema Land, Vietnam
Source: Latam Film
Entry filed under: AWARDS, INDUSTRY NEWS, LATAM FILM. Tags: Hubert Bals Fund awards 10 latin american projects cinema, latin american cinema 2013, latin american films 2013, Milagros Mumenthaler, Pozo de aire Milagros Mumenthaler, Tarde para morir joven Dominga Sotomayor.