Latin American cinema in Liverpool September 16th to 19th
Viva la Revolucion! The 5th Sydney Latin American Film Festival is back at Casula Powerhouse.
We’ve saved the best for last… Following its city run, the 2010 Sydney Latin American Film Festival brings its exciting program of award-winning films from all over Latin America and the Caribbean to Western Sydney audiences on September 16th – 19th.
Audiences can anticipate four nights of entertaining and thought-provoking cinema exploring Latin American themes, with a special focus this year on the dynamic Chilean and Argentine film scene, as part of the Bicentennial celebrations in 2010.
“Western Sydney audiences will be thrilled with our line-up of award-winning films and documentaries in western Sydney, including several Australian premieres,” said Western Sydney Festival Organizer Jacqueline Andres.
“Not only will we be fund-raising through our community support program but will also have a special screening of the heart-warming Argentine film Anita to raise money for the Down Syndrome Association of Argentina,” Ms. Andres said.
Kicking off proceedings will be the Havana Club Opening Night Fiesta, where special guest, Chilean producer Andres Waissbluth will present his satirical comedy Optical Illusions (ilusiones opticas), and be on hand to conduct a Q&A after the film.
Then in true festival form the roof of the gorgeous Casula Powerhouse will be raised, as the infectious and distinctively Cuban seven-piece, Armandito y su Trovason gets into swing. Also on offer will be food and drinks from our sponsors: Havana Club, Sauza Tequila, Corona and Argentino Fine Wines.
Highlights from the Festival include:
• My Life With Carlos (Mi Vida Con Carlos), a deeply personal and poetic, award-winning documentary film about a son’s journey to learn the truth of his father’s death in Pinochet’s Chile.
• Paradise (Paraiso), a streetwise drama about 5 teenagers living in “paradise” on the outskirts of Lima.
• Sins of My Father (Pecados de mi padre), the incredible story of Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar as told by his son, Sebastian, who grew up with a father he loved but whom he knew to be Colombia’s public enemy number one.
• Yuma (La Yuma), the first feature-length fiction film out of Nicaragua in more than twenty years, this is a heartwarming story that packs a punch.
• Anita, the award-winning story of a young girl with Downs Syndrome who finds herself lost in Buenos Aires amid the turmoil of terrible events on 18 July 1994. A proportion of ticket sales will be gifted to the Associacion Sindrome de Down de la Republica Argentina.
• A Matter of Principles (Cuestion de Principios). This is audiences’ last chance to see this hilarious and heart-warming comedy by Argentine director and Festival guest Rodrigo Grande. This film will have viewers laughing in the aisles, while offering a wry glimpse into the Argentine soul.
• Sunday 19 September is our Closing Night Fiesta, featuring Eyes Wide Open: Exploring Today’s South America (Ojos Bien Abiertos: Un viaje por la sudamerica de hoy), a documentary based on Eduardo Galeano’s searing and controversial book “Open Veins of Latin America”. To celebrate our 5th year there will be complimentary drinks before the screening.
Where: Casula Powerhouse 1 Casula Road, Casula, 02 9824 1121 www.casulapowerhouse.com
When: 16 – 19 September, 2010
Tickets: Filmmaker presentation, Havana Club Opening Night Fiesta Adult $35/Concession $30
General screenings Adult $14/Concession $10
Casula Powerhouse 3 Session Pass (excluding Opening Night) Adult $36/Concession $24
Tickets can be purchased from Moshtix: 1300 438 839 or online: moshtix.com or in person through Casula Powerhouse box office.
The Sydney Latin American Film Festival proudly continues to be a not-for-profit,100% volunteer-run festival, with all proceeds going towards grassroots community development projects in Latin America.
The 5th Sydney Latin American Film Festival 2010 is supported by the Commonwealth through the Council on Australia Latin America Relations of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Full Festival program available at www.sydneylatinofilmfestival.org
Entry filed under: DOCUMENTARIES, FILM FESTIVALS, LATIN AMERICAN FILM, SYDNEY LATINO FILM FEST. Tags: "SINS OF MY FATHER", "Yuma", A Matter of Principles, Andres Waissbluth, Anita, “Open Veins of Latin America”, Cuestión de principios, Eduardo Galeano, Eyes Wide Open: Exploring Today’s South America, Ilusiones Opticas, Jacqueline Andres, La Yuma, Latin America and the Caribbean Cinema, Mi Vida Con Carlos, My Life With Carlos, Ojos Bien Abiertos: Un viaje por la sudamerica de hoy, Optical Illusions, Paradise, Paraiso, Pecados de mi padre, The 5th Sydney Latin American Film Festival.